QUALITY ASSURANCE ASSESSMENT POLICY
|This is the policy and arrangements for||Working Knowledge|
|Overall and final responsibility of the policy:||James Lott – Managing Director|
|Day to day responsibility for ensuring this policy is put into practice is delegated to:||Internal Verifier|
|Policy monitoring and review date||January 2018 or sooner subject to change/amendment|
|Links to other policies||CPD Policy and Procedures|
Internal Verification Policy
1. Statement of purpose.
2. Assessor requirements.
3. Internal Verifier requirements.
4. Internal Verification Strategy.
5. Sampling Strategy.
6. Unsatisfactory Assessment.
7. Recording and monitoring of Evidence.
A – Sampling plan example.
B – Interim/Summative assessment form.
A. Statement of purpose
Tutors/Assessors are employed by The Academy Hub either on a permanent or freelance basis. The Quality Assurance strategy is designed to provide consistent support for assessors and learners and give regular contact. It also helps to identify areas of opportunity to share best practice or training needs and contributes to team standardisation meetings.
The Internal Verifier, Awarding body and Partners reserve the right to attend any teaching/assessing session being provided on behalf of The Academy Hub.
1. Assessor requirements.
2. All assessors and delivery staff will be expected to ensure the assessment process meets the National Occupational Standards under reference
LSILADD09. Full details can be found on the NOS website using the following link:
3. All assessors are occupationally competent and will use their industry experience and knowledge to assess learner’s evidence against the learning outcomes and criteria stipulated by the awarding body.
4. All assessors will provide both formative and summative feedback to learners which is individual and developmental
5. All assessors will ensure support and guidance is provided to all learners to enable the award to be achieved.
6. All assessors will attend regular standardisation meetings to ensure consistency of assessment and to share best practice.
7. All tasks, assessment judgments and feedback will be evidenced within the e-portfolio system.
B. Internal Verifier requirements
1. All Internal Verifiers will be expected to ensure the monitoring of assessments is carried out to the National Occupational Standards under reference LSILADD111 Full details can be found on the NOS website using the following link:
2. All Internal Verifiers are occupationally competent and will use their industry experience and knowledge to assess Assessor’s evidence against the learning outcomes and criteria stipulated by the awarding body.
3. All Internal Verifiers will implement an Internal Verification Strategy.
4. All Internal Verifiers will maintain accurate records of all activities including:-
– Formative/Summative feedback.
– Observation records.
– Standardisation meeting records.
– Assessor CPD and development plans.
– This list is not exhaustive.
5. All Internal Verifiers will ensure support and guidance is provided to all
6. Assessors to ensure personal development and training needs are recognised and development plans are put in place at the earliest opportunity.
7. Will take part in the formal stages of any appeal as required.
C. Internal Verification Strategy.
The Internal Verifier will undertake activity involving each assessor and some of the learners over the academic year. The sampling plan ensures all assessment activities are sampled for each assessor. These activities will include:
- • Sampling of learner portfolios to include mandatory and optional units at all levels.
• Sampling a range of assessment methods.
• Sampling of learners at different locations.
• Observing assessor practice twice a year.
• Scheduling of Standardisation meetings at regular intervals.
The collating of learner feedback and the provision of monthly/quarterly data reports is part of the strategy but responsibility will be shared between the Internal Verifier and a designated officer.
D. Sampling Strategy
The sampling plan will be available and updated on the e-portfolio system providing an audit trail of progress for every learner. The sampling plan is designed to monitor every unit of each qualification against each cohort of learners for every tutor/assessor. The aim is to ensure consistency of teaching and assessing throughout each cohort and across all units of the qualification/s.
Inexperienced assessor or assessors new to the centre:
The sampling plan will indicate additional sampling up to 100% for
- The qualified, but new, assessor until the point at which the IV is confident that the new assessor is familiar with the procedures for this centre.
The unqualified assessor during the period the Assessor qualification is being taken. Then, when the assessor is qualified, sampling is reduced until the point that the IV is confident that the newly qualified assessor is secure and familiar with their practice and that of the centre.
- Sampling of a third of learners allocated to the assessor over the duration of their qualification.
The IV may increase the extent of the sampling beyond the above if there are any concerns about the assessment practice. Where it is necessary to vary from the sampling plan, the reasons should be recorded and variations added.
The sampling strategy will be reviewed annually.
E. Unsatisfactory assessment.
In the event of a challenge being made to an assessment judgement by the IV, feedback will be given to the assessor using the interim/summative feedback form) which is then uploaded to the e-portfolio. Corrective action is to be carried out prior to re-submission and re-verification.
Should the need arise for further training and development, this should be highlighted and included in the next standardisation meeting. If individual training and development is identified, this should be implemented as per the CPD.
F. Recording and Monitoring of Evidence.
All learners will complete and e-portfolio of evidence accessed by designated individuals. The e-portfolio will provide and audit trail of evidence, assessments and achievements for each learner.
The Internal Verifier, Awarding body and Partners reserve the right to access any learner e-portfolio being provided on behalf of The Academy Hub.